Wednesday, February 4, 2015

BLOG TOUR and RRBB EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: He's Mine by Bernadette Y. Connor



“Dream come true turns nightmare!”
“A romantic, gritty and disturbing fatal attraction.”
Tall, dark and incredibly handsome, Miles Alexander is admired by his friends and colleagues, loved and adored by every woman in town, including his family. He is an attorney from a wealthy family, and an incurable romantic who has dated every attractive woman in town. Miles’s world is comfortable and carefree until Patrice Mays whisks past him in the lobby of his office building and his appreciation of a beautiful woman eclipsed. With just the two of them on the elevator, Miles inspects her from head-to-toe and cannot believe his eyes, she is perfection.

Patrice Mays is new in town and Miles is the first person to penetrate her determination to be on time for her first day at Tymes, McNeil and Lowell Law Offices. The gorgeous floral arrangement and warm welcome note Miles had delivered impresses her. The recollection of his handsome, well dressed physique made her smile. However, Patrice is focused on her career, Miles is focused on Patrice.

Miles makes his infatuation with Patrice well known immediately, and the information is not well received by all. Patrice is confronted at the end of her second day by an irate Miles romantic reject and receives a mind-boggling note in her inter-office mail that simply says, “He’s Mine!”
 
 
 
Rave Reviews For He's Mine!
 
 
“He’s Mine! is a gripping tale of love, dysfunctional relationships, deceit, passion, infidelity and unrequited love.  Bernadette Connor writes unapologetic, in your face prose with her searing human touch.  Connor’s seventh novel is a must-read and will keep you guessing about the fate of Patrice Mays and Miles Alexander, until the last page.”
-         Thelma Balfour, author of Black Love Signs and Black Sun Signs (Touchtone/Simon & Schuster)
 
"Using passion and intrigue as her thread, Ms. Connor has woven a fascinating story. HE'S MINE! is a tale you'll remember long after you turn the last page!"
-         B. Berry, author of Clothesline Blues and Cold Crazy(series)
 
“Love, murder and mayhem.  It is a love story after all!”
-         Lori Bryant Woolridge, Emmy winner and author of Can't Help The Way That I Feel
 
 
RRBB EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
with Bernadette Y. Conner
 
RRBB:  Tell us how you got your start in writing. 
I have written poetry since Junior High.  My dip into novels happened without me being aware that was what I was doing.  After my son was killed in 1991, I wanted to write a short story that felt good.  I wanted it to be filled with love and absolutely no trauma.  Finally was my first offering.  It has never been published.

RRBB: How did you get the idea for He's Mine?
This may sound strange, but I have never had a preconceived idea for a story.  The characters come to me and tell me the story.  That's why there is so much dialogue.  I hear it.

RRBB:  Who designed the cover art for He's Mine?
My niece, Parris Parker.  She's trying to break into the field of animation.  She will be thrilled to know you asked.

RRBB: What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write, and why?
I'm a romance lover and the first lovemaking in the bathtub scene was my favorite.  Okay, all of the lovemaking was my favorite.

RRBB:  Can you tell us a little about you next project after He's Mine?
"Crack In The Pulpit" takes a journey through the life of a dysfunctional preacher and the growth and near destruction of a well -established church. 

RRBB:  Have you ever used a situation from real life in one of your books?
The scene where Carmelita and Monica talk about Carmelita fastening her longline bra on backwards really happened to one of my friends on a cruise.  I know my phone will ring when she reads the book.

RRBB: You have written several books. Do you have a favorite?
Of course, my first, Finally is dearest.  Damaged! is my favorite published work because it allowed me to love, hurt, bleed and heal.  So many people identified with it, I knew I wasn't alone.  Group therapy.

RRBB: Do you outline before you begin a story, or have any other writing rituals?
I wouldn't begin to know how to build a book in outline.  Music opens doors in my imagination.  "The Latest" is a paranormal romance written entirely to the album "Songbird" by Eva Cassidy.  Beautiful and haunting.

RRBB:  Who is your favorite author(s) to read, and why?
My favorite author is Langston Hughes.  He created stories with African American characters he loved.  I could tell and I admired and try to emulate that love and respect.  Taylor Caldwell and Stephen King stirred my imagination.  Edgar A. Poe ignited my writer's flame the first time I heard his poems read to music.

RRBB:  Out of all your books, are there any certain characters you would like to go back to, or is there a theme or idea you'd love to work with?
There is one theme that runs through all of my work thus far, love and romance.  The characters I love are the ones most like me.  In He's Mine!, it's Carmelita.  In The Parcel Express Murders it's Hall Hawkins.  No, I haven't felt a tug to revisit any of them.

 
About The Author
 
Bernadette Y. Connor is a native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She was born at home in a one-room apartment in North Philadelphia; the fourth of five children. To help her family financially, she sang rhythm and blues in many of the local nightclubs until she graduated from Dobbins Vocational Area High School in 1969 and was hired as a secretary by Sun Oil Company.

Bernadette’s first love was music, but she found herself writing poetry. Some of her earliest writings were published in SCLC monthly magazine. Both singing and writing had to take a back burner to caring for her family, butmidnight often found her doodling. A divorced mother of three, Bernadette saw that all of her children graduated from college.

          Bernadette found her niche’ at AT&T as a communications technician. With the merger came a lay-off and she saw as an opportunity to begin a new career, but that was put on hold by a series of medical problems and finally the devastation of the brutal murder of her eldest son on Christmas Eve of 1991. Her zest for life, travel and adventure were nearly extinguished. However, Bernadette’s thoughts slowly returned to writing.

The literary fire was stoked by reacquainting herself with her earlier poems. Bernadette embarked on yet another adventure. She wrote a simple love story called “Finally” that opened the gate to an avalanche of works . . . 13 novels and 7 screenplays. Bernadette’s published debut novel, “Damaged!”, the first psychological thriller ever written and published by an African American garnered her a spot in “Who’s Who In America 2004”. Publishers Weekly dubbed her the “genre-crossing writer” and she loves the distinction.
 
Author Links
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment